Thursday, February 3, 2011

Assignment 1 Final Written Statement

Focus- Chaos
My interpretation on this photograph is that the subject represents chaos while the ball represents serenity. The two are juxtaposed next to each other. When I showed it to the class, the class thought it was an ironic picture, because the subject looks so content with being dressed up with stickers, maybe even exhausted. They thought it was somewhat humorous. Based on my critique, they thought the lighting would have been better if it was positioned better and I feel that the color pictures turned out better than black and white. I could use this picture as a jumping off point to create a project based solely on props and


Large Aperature- Animated
This photo encapsulates glamour. The subject is posing, blurred, in the background, while the gaudy chandelier takes her spotlight. When others critiqued the photo, they liked how the photo made them wonder what was taking place in the background of this photo, they thought it was mysterious. Based on my critique, I think the soft lighting of the chandelier is working well, reflecting off the subjects face. I could use this picture as a jumping off point by placing objects in front of subjects and making them seem blurred, while the objects take center


Large Aperature-Illusion
My interpretation of this picture is one cannot fully "see" themselves, and others can only see them from behind. People keep things hidden from others, yet cannot even understand themselves clearly. When others critiqued this photo, they thought liked how clear the hair is and how messy it is, while the reflection is blurred yet perfect. I think the lighting is working well for this picture; I like how crisp her hair looks like. I could use this picture as a jumping off point by doing a portrait series where I take pictures from behind and let their personality shine though without even seeing the face.


Fast Shutter Speed- Unpredictable
With this photograph I wanted to portray a carefree attitude. The subject has her hair down and doesn't care how the elements whip it back and forth and tousle her scarfs. I think the patterns in the scarf are working well for this picture and when we had a critique others liked how the trees in the background framed the subject well. If I could use this as a launching point, I could take portraits of other subjects with patterns


High Contrast Lighting- Superhero
The dramatic lighting and contrast, along with the deep shadows in her neck, make this photo partially eerie yet dramatic and show her split personality. I think the dark shadow and the bright facial lighting make this photo work well. If I could light her right eye better I feel that would greatly improve this photograph. I could use this photo as a launching point for a larger project involving dramatic shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment