Monday, February 14, 2011

Final Images: Portraits (written statement 1 and 2 combined)

Fast Shutter Speed/ Morning Light
FastShutter_flatten
This portrait was taken in my bedroom during the early morning hours. I placed my subject in an almost reflective-looking dress to make her presence pop out. I chose this particular picture because I love the way she is looking down as if she is happily unsure of where she will land. The cropping of the eye was accident and if I could go back and reshoot the picture I would definitely include more of her eyes. The background is obscure; its hard to tell where she is, all you know is that she is inside. This makes it seem as though she is floating in space. I captured the side corner of the wall to position in the frame and used no artificial lighting. My perspective is more aimed at foot-length but with her feet cropped out. I chose to do that so it enhanced the floating feeling. I could use this picture as a jumping off point to create a series of photos experimenting with lighting and motion, such as slow-shutter speed with glow-sticks in the dark.



Large Depth of Field/ Midday Light
Vogel_LargeAperture07
This portrait was taken right outside the entrance to my apartment. I was captivated by the snow that magically settled by my door and really wanted to capture a picture with a subject in the middle. I love the way the subject is framed perfectly within the nook and I really like the contrast of the bright white snow and dark clothing. I chose to put my subject in a leather jacket so that the light reflected off more effectively. I had her look at the light peeking in through the stairwell and I really like how the light hit her face. The shadows that the light creates is subtle and flatters the subject well. I read this photograph as the subject being content, confident, yet at the same time, unsure. She appears almost stuck against the wall and is peering out at a crazy world outside. The snow is her base momentarily but eventually it will melt. She wants to leave to explore the world and she knows she can, but is hesitant to do so. If I could change something about this photograph, I would make the lighting on the right side appear brighter so her left hand doesn't disappear into the wall. I could use this as a jumping-off point to create a series of "framed portraits" where I artificially frame them in nature using the surroundings.



Large Depth of Field/ Midday Light
Vogel_LargeAperture21
In my opinion, this picture looks badass- like it should be featured in a motorcycle commercial or something... yet at the same time, the hair sweeping across her face makes it appear soft and innocent. She looks like a child in women's clothing, as if she is pretending to be someone she is not and hoping no one notices. I positioned the subject next to a brick post outside my apartment and I really like how that post frames the photograph. I also really like the reflection of the sun on her coat which creates the intricate details which pop out in this picture. The squinting was a natural response to the intense sunlight, but I really like how the bags and shadows around her eyes turned out. I could use this portrait as a jumping-off point to create a series of commercial photographs.



Small Depth of Field/ Props
VOGEL~18
This portrait is taken of my friend Diane who is a very unique individual. I let her create her own scene with items from her room and of course, she chose the strangest knick-knack, her "cup." I really have no idea WHERE she got that from, but it definitely encapsulates her personality; offbeat. I wanted to use a small depth of field so that the cup popped out yet the subject was still visible. The concept behind this photo is that she is pushing this simple ideology of "choosing your own poison" in life. It resembles glamorized peer-pressure. If I could change something about this picture, I would have made the background a little lighter because it takes away from the subjects silhouette. I could use this picture as an inspiration for other social commentary photographs.




Self-Portrait
Vogel_Selfport_29
This photograph really captures the essence of me, or at least from my prospective. I can be shy at times, but at the same time I want to announce to the world yet I exist- that is why I chose to place a clear lamination in front of my face; it represents the blurriness of my personality, the shyness, the obscurity, but at the same time it represents how I project myself on to others and usually view myself through others opinions of me. I chose to write "when words fail music speaks" for two reasons; 1, my friend said this out loud the other day when discussing potential tattoo quotes and it got stuck in my head, 2, this quote really embodies my opinion on life. My two enjoyments in life are writing and music, which is why I am pursuing music journalism. I feel that words can be used to convey a lot of emotion, but sometimes it fails to; music, on the other hand, can convey any emotion possible and even emotions that are not real. I wanted to capture the picture in my bedroom because it has items in it that are very reflective of Kate. Painting is a passion of mine and I actually painted the blurry painting in the background last summer. If I could change something about this picture, I would have made the lettering pop out more by positioning it in the light better. I could use this picture as an inspiration for other self-portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment