Sunday, March 13, 2011

Final Images: Place

Altered Places
18
This photograph was taken on the same day at two separate locations; the railroad tracks and in a parking lot by the MSU coal plant. I decided to edit it the way that I did, slicing it into strips and rearranging their order, because I think the lines fit beautifully together. The theme of this photograph is transportation, a historic mode of transportation and a newer commercialized and consumer means of transportation. I wanted to mesh the two together to compress the two eras into one while still maintaining their personal space. The lighting in both of the photographs is diffused lighting. I feel that the spacing of the separate pieces in the photograph are geometric and pleasing to the eye. I could use this photograph to create more "sliced" photographs.


Hidden Places
10
I stumbled upon this hidden shack while I was walking to class. It was just the right time of day when the shadow of the trees was reflecting on the door. It was stunning and I had to capture it. I love the color of the wood and the dark shadows that the tree branches cast. I did very little editing and I love how you can just barely notice the shape of the tree. I also really like how the door knobs are located directly in the center of the photograph and how they direct your attention to the middle. I would use this photograph as a jumping off point for a series of photographs involving hidden places.


pile2_1
Following up on the "hidden theme," I accidentally found this location while driving in my car. The raw placement of the tangled wood seems like a romantic disaster to me. I love the way that the snow still lay on some pieces of the fragmented wood, while the sun is shining from the right. I chose to put this photograph in black and white because I feel that adding that element makes the picture looks more stark and haunting. I want to go back to this location and photograph more angles of the scene because I feel like this is a beautiful and unique place.


7
This is my favorite photograph from this project and this is also the most edited picture. I created this by taking a simple picture of a puddle that reflected a tree. I then took a picture of the tree that was being reflected. I changed the saturation in the pictures and "sliced" each photograph, much like the train track photograph. The concept behind this photograph is that things are not always as they appear; the tree shown in the puddle is not actually the tree but rather a skewed and upside-down reflection. I chose to edit the photograph the way I did, flipping the photograph of the tree vertically and spacing them the way I did to provide clarity yet confusion in the photograph. It takes a minute to realize what you are looking at. When I printed this picture I did not make it as large as I wanted to so I would go back and make it twice as large (probably an 8X10)


Constructed Places
_DSC0363
This photograph is of a constructed reality. I placed tree stickers on my outdoor mailbox in order to transform the 2-dimensional stickers into a 3-dimensional location. I really like the way the colors turned out in the brick background and I like how the roots of the trees appear to belong in the cement. Originally, I planned to use the stickers to make a statement about winter weather and how I was longing for spring, but I ended up completely changing my concept. Rather, this photograph represents the simple yet unrealistic beauty of nature. The trees obviously do not belong here, but somehow they work. I could use this idea to create more constructed places and memories.


_DSC0277
I used the same idea of a constructed reality for this photograph. These are actually kite stickers and clouds which I cut out of white paper and placed on my slider door. The sun is real and the sky is real but everything else is constructed. This picture radiates playfulness and innocence. I deeply saturated the photograph and added brightness to better define the kites. If I could change something about this photograph I could try to get the circular dots out from the kites in order to make the picture appear more natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment