Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Prompt #24

A. Pick two images from any of the “constructed reality” photographers presented in class or linked on the assignment sheet. Describe how you could recreate these two images on a “smaller scale”. #1: Abelardo Morell, View of Landscape Outside of Florence in Room with Bookcase

The idea is simple simple, but the pictures are all gorgeously surreal. It has the power of merging two distant places into one. It brings back the history of photography; bringing the places you are unable to reach into your living room by looking at a picture. The photographer of this series actually took the idea "into your living room" seriously.

I would recreate a "smaller" version of this series by either projecting or layering photographs from childhood locations (such as cottages, old houses, landscapes which were meaningful to me as a child) on top of my current living environment.


#2: Vik Muniz, Thread.
I think the work by Vik Muniz is incredible. I love the fact that he can create completely new scenes by using one, monotone object such as thread. It's haunting but so inventive. I would recreate this idea by forming portraits with thread on pavement. I will use color on the black cement and plain concrete. It will combine the unanimated character of thread with the animated spirit of human personality. I love the texture of Muniz's photos, so I would inject that idea into my photos by layering the colored thread to appear like real human hair. B. Describe your plans for your self-proposed final project (if the plan is the same as before, paste it here again and give a bit more detail). During the final critique for Assignment #5, you will discuss/present these ideas to the class.

My idea for my final project will be a play-off of the portrait project and the constructed reality project. I really enjoyed taking photographs and then physically altering them to create a fresh photograph with a deeper meaning. In my final project, I want to create a series of portraits and then take the personality of that subject and alter them accordingly. I want to burn pictures, rip them, add objects on top of them, paint them, and scratch into the photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment