Friday, April 22, 2011

Blog Promptt #26

Brainstorms! (In an effort to expand, improve, add complexity, and push your final projects further, please pick 10 of the following to discuss.)

1. Ideas sometimes grow out of irritation. What is a negative thought you are having about your project? What is the opposite of this negative thought? How could you implement a change in your project so that this negative thought will subside?

Some negative thoughts are that my project may appear too simple. My idea is that I will layer two images on top of each other, but my fear is that this will appear too simple seeing as I will not be taking advantage of the program Photoshop. Opposite this thought is that I add more elements to my final photographs. I could possibly add several layers on top of the original portrait photograph; maybe a painting, a landscape, or abstract shape.

3. What is a consistent theme/visual element in your project? What would be the opposite of this? How can you implement that into your project?

A constant theme in my project is the definition of personality and character. My thought process throughout this project is to take a portrait or a person (which will represent how THEY try to portray themselves) and then I will add layers on top of the portrait (which will represent how I think their personality is truly portrayed). Opposite this theme could be the lack of personality- or what people would look like if they had opposite personalities. I could implement this into my final project by distorting my subjects by making them appear to have opposite personalities from their own.

4. Type twenty words or phrases that relate to your project.

Clean, simple, blunt, direct, vibrant, full of personality, or the distortion of personality, the portrayal of personality, multiple personalities, true character, false character, telling, revealing, honest, straightforward, potentially conflicting, deeper meaning, or hidden meaning, how we want to appear to others, how we actually do appear to others.

5. At the deepest core, describe why you like this project. Dig deep!
I really like this project because [when I was working on my last project] I really like how this type of picture- laying two or more pictures on top of each other/ blending images together) looked aesthetically. In addition, I think the idea is really captivating. We, as humans, try our hardest to project a personality that sometimes is not read by the audience in the same way. I think that representing a personality with a color, texture or photograph, will really help define what it means to project a personality.
6. Expand your project. If time, money, materials, etc would not affect you, how would you expand your project?

I would buy a canvas and paints and create a personalized, handmade painting of all my friends/family's "abstract personalities."

8.Look at one of your images. Redesign it entirely.


One of my images [of my friend Lauren] is supposed to represent her hot and cold personality. Whether she realizes it or not, it is her personality. I would take it and instead of doing a half and half photograph, with two different textures, I would cut up her face into 20-or-so slices and color them differently. This would represent her spontaneous moods and behaviors.

13. Persuade the reader that your project works well and is the most amazing project you have ever completed.


This project is unique because it's not everyday that a friend is willing to be blunt enough to tell you exactly what they think your personality is. This project is going to be aesthetically appealing, vibrant, and multifaceted.


14. Persuade the reader that your project stinks. Then, persuade the reader that you will make changes so that it no longer stinks.


The project appears to be too simple. It looks like I slacked off and didn't spend my time making it. However, if I add more layers to the photograph I can make it look more complex and add more meaning to the photograph.


15. Think of one of your most memorable dreams. How could you add elements from this dreams to your project?


One of my most memorable dreams involved a room full of people from my past, people who I've had issues with or conflict with, and in a dimly-lit room we solved all of our issues. By exposing my problems with people and subconsciously solving them in my dreams, it really helped me to solve the problems in reality. I could use this element by subtly and unconsciously exposing my subjects personality so they can have insight into how they are really seen by the public and those close to them.

21. How would you make your project more edgy, saccharine, provocative, empty, revealing, concealing, funny, sad, mysterious, blunt, honest, disingenuous, fast, slow, playful, austere, hateful, lovable, bold, subtle, long, short, big, small, connected, disconnected?


I could make my project more revealing by making the [intended] personality shine through. I will do this by layering not only just colors that represent the subjects personality, but maybe also a photograph that distinctly describes their personality (such as an object).

No comments:

Post a Comment